York Marble Tile & Terrazzo Inc.
Accessibility Standards Policy
At York Marble we aim to build honest, respectful, and individual relationships with our customers. All customers must receive a high level of customer service. This is not only common courtesy and good customer service it is also the law.
Every business, including York Marble, has a certain way of doing things. But sometimes a company’s customary or standard way of doing things makes it difficult or impossible for customers with disabilities to purchase or enjoy goods and services.
The purpose of this policy is to meet the requirements of the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, Ontario Regulation 429/07 under the Accessibility for Ontarian’s with Disabilities Act, 2005, and applies to the provision of goods and services to the public and/or third parties.
All goods and services provided by York Marble (the “Company”) shall be consistent with the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity.
In accordance with Regulation 429/07, this policy addresses the following:
• The Provision of Goods and Services to Persons with Disabilities
• The Use of Assistive Devices
• The Use of Guide Dogs and Service Animals
• The Use of Support Persons
• Notice of Disruptions in Service
• Customer Feedback
• Notice of Availability and Format of Required Documents
The Provision of Goods and Services to Persons with Disabilities
York Marble will make every reasonable effort to ensure that its policies, practices and procedures are consistent with the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity by:
• Ensuring that all customers receive equal opportunity to obtain, use and benefit from York Marble’s goods and services;
• Allowing customers with both visible and non-visible disabilities to access goods and services in a manner that accommodates their individual needs so long as this does not present a safety risk;
• Using alternative methods, where possible, to ensure that customers with both visible and non-visible disabilities have access to the same services, in the same place and in the same or similar manner; and
• Communicating in a manner that takes into account the customer’s disability.
Customer’s Own Assistive Device(s):
Persons with disabilities may use their own assistive devices as required when accessing York Marble’s goods or services.
In cases where the assistive device presents a safety concern or where accessibility might be an issue, other reasonable measures will be used to ensure equal access to goods and services. For example, open flames and oxygen tanks cannot be near one another. Therefore, the accommodation of a customer with an oxygen tank may involve ensuring the customer is in a location that would be considered safe for both the customer and the business.
Guide Dogs and Service Animals
Customers with disabilities that are accompanied by a guide dog or service animal will be allowed access to York Marble premises and will be allowed to keep the animal with him or her unless otherwise excluded by law or the animal has demonstrated a safety threat.
If a customer with a disability is accompanied by a support person, York Marble will ensure that both people are allowed to enter the premises together and that the customer is not prevented from having access to the support person.
There may be times where seating and availability prevent the customer and support person from sitting beside one another. In these situations, York Marble will make every reasonable attempt to resolve the issue.
In situations where confidential information may be discussed, a non disclosure agreement may be required for the support person, prior to the discussion.
Notice of Disruptions in Service
Service disruptions may occur due to reasons that may or may not be within York Marble’s control or knowledge. In the event of any temporary disruptions to facilities or services that are relied upon by customers with disabilities, York Marble will provide advance notice of the disruption where possible.
In the event of a temporary disruption, notification of the disruption will include the following information:
• Goods or services that are disrupted or unavailable;
• Reason for the disruption;
• Anticipated duration; and
• A description of alternative services or options.
Posting of Notifications:
When temporary disruptions occur, York will provide notice by:
• Posting notices in conspicuous places on the premises
• Contacting customers with appointments scheduled during the disruption;
• Verbally notifying customers when they are making a reservation or appointment; or
• Any other methods that may be reasonable under the circumstances.
Training will be provided to:
• All employees who deal with the public or third parties who act on behalf of York Marble; and
• Individuals involved in the development and approval of customer service policies, practices and procedures.
As reflected in Regulation 429/07, training will cover the following:
• The purpose of the Accessibility for Ontarian’s with Disabilities Act, 2005.
• The requirements of Regulation 429/07.
• Instructions on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
• Instructions on how to interact with people with disabilities who:
• use assistive devices;
• require the assistance of a guide dog or other service animal; or
• require the use of a support person.
• Instructions on how to use equipment or devices that are available on York Marble’s premises or that York Marble provides to assist people with disabilities.
• Instructions on what to do if a person with disabilities is having difficulty accessing York Marble’s goods or services.
• York Marble policies, procedures and practices pertaining to providing accessible customer service to people with disabilities.
York Marble will train existing employees as soon as practicable. Training will be provided to new employees upon their hire. Ongoing training will be provided in the event of changes to legislation and/or changes in York Marble’s policies, procedures and/or practices.
Record of Training:
York Marble will keep a record of training that was provided.
Workplace Emergency Response Information
In addition to providing customers with disabilities with full accessibility to goods and services at all times in a way that respects their dignity and independence, York Marble is committed to providing employees with disabilities with the same opportunities as other employees. With this in mind, York Marble will provide individualized workplace emergency response information to all employees with a visible or non-visible disability, if the individual so requires. This information can also be provided to the employee who is designated to assist the employee with disabilities.
York Marble shall provide customers with the opportunity to provide feedback on the goods and services provided to customers with disabilities.
Customers who wish to provide feedback may do so by emailing email@example.com. Customers may additionally provide their feedback to any York Marble employee, or by contacting York Marble at 2 Sheffield St., Toronto, Ontario M6M 3E6 416-235-0161.
Customers can expect to hear back within 5 business days. Any complaints will be addressed according to York Marble’s regular complaint management procedures.
Notice of Availability and Format of Required Documents
York Marble’s Accessibility Standards Policy and Accessible Customer Service Plan is available here:
www.yorkmarble.com on York Marble’s website. If a customer requests a copy of this
policy or the Accessible Customer Service Plan, please direct them to the web page, or if requested, please provide them a copy. If a customer requests the policy or plan in another format that takes into account the customer’s disability, please contact York Marble for assistance.